Director of Human Resources
Keck & Wood, Inc. is a growing and dynamic employee owned engineering and consulting firm that was founded in 1954. We are headquartered in Duluth, GA and have branch offices in Fayetteville, GA, Rock Hill, SC and North Charleston, SC. Our 60+ employees include professionals in civil engineering, landscape architecture, and land surveying. We serve public and private sector clients throughout the southeast.
The Director of Human Resources role is an integral, strategic and creative member of the leadership team. Keck & Wood views the ability to attract, recruit, and retain top talent to be critical to the long term health and growth of the firm. This position will drive the development and day to day execution of the Human Resources Department for Keck & Wood. As a key member of the leadership team, the Director of Human Resources will lead initiatives to provide an employee oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes collaboration, career path development, emotional intelligence, and relationship building. Our firm is growing. As we plan for the future of the firm, we need an experienced professional to help ensure that our HR practices and strategy are integrated with the firm’s overall strategy for success.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for maintaining a highly engaging culture, motivating employees, fostering an environment with high levels of teamwork, accountability, communication and vision to employees.
- Promotes and educates the staff to better understand the value of Human Resources as a partner and resource to its employees and leadership team.
- Develops, updates and manages policies and procedures. Develops organizational strategies by identifying and researching human resource issues; contributes information, analysis and recommendations to support Keck & Wood’s mission and core values.
- Administers or oversees the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Identifies staffing and recruiting needs; develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Works closely with the leadership team to advise, counsel, and provide coaching and resolution to address employees’ performance which also includes career development and disciplinary actions.
- Provides basic HR training for the leadership team such as how to conduct interviews, performance evaluations, documenting performance, and having difficult conversations.
- Monitors and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to the Keck & Wood Board, CEO, and leadership team.
- Responsible for continuous improvement and innovation as it relates to improving processes, addressing performance, creating action plans and ensuring proper training and development of employees.
Knowledge & Skills:
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Thorough knowledge of employment related regulations.
Integrity and Trust: Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidence; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Conflict Management: Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise
Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive, and the need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing’ especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office or similar software is required. Experience with Google Docs is desired
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least 3 years of HR Director experience and 7 to 10 years of HR experience overall.
- SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR or SPHR certifications are preferred
If today is the day to give your career the boost it needs, please respond with your indication of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your resume below.